[TriLUG] [Fwd: Immediate Opening - Cluster Programmer - Linux andC/C++]

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Sep 24 09:53:57 EDT 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> .

> the fact that they require a word doc-form resume means (obviously)
> that they're most likely a MS-centric shop.  which means that a linux
> person is potentially going to suffer having to deal with that
> constantly, as in:
>
> 1) all internal docs and memos being distributed in word format (yes,
> i know OOo handles word, but still ...)
>
> 2) timesheets perhaps having to be submitted as excel spreadsheets
> (again, yes, OOo ...)
>
> 3) internal web sites optimized for IE, perhaps not working well or at
> all for mozilla/konqueror/firefox
>
> 4) MS-centric bug tracking/scheduling software that requires IE to access

5) A custom VB database app that I can't-for-the-life-of-me get to run
in WINE, and has to be run by remote-desktop to another XP workstation,
which is frowned upon by upper management.

More likely though, the recruiter just wants to strip out your contact
information, attach his logo to make it appear as if you often work for
his company, and forward it along to the company.  And that's much
easier to do with a word doc than a PDF.  And if you sent him a text
file, he might have to do to much formatting.  I won't even go into what
would happen with an HTML doc...  Remember, these are human-resources
people with computers, not computer people who do human resources.  And
I think it's safe to say that's probably best.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner