[TriLUG] TCP socket connections in Linux, gathering data from embedded device - - was WGET-LYNX??

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 14:25:24 EDT 2004

I have great news for those interested in this thread!  After a nice long
discussion with their support, there is a new development with the device!  I
can go into the configuration of the device, set a remote IP and a remote
port... if on that remote machine, I have a proggy listening on said TCP port,
I can collect data and at that point, do with it what I want!  :)  Now here is
where my skills go completely kaput.

This means something can be written to listen on said TCP port, however,
whatever, C/C++, perl, python, eh... I guess I don't care, I think I have gcc
libs already available to me in my minimum installs, in fact I know I have gcc.
 How to find out what this data looks like, then what to do with it, that's
where I'm at.

Thanks to all the ideas so far in this thread, this seems the most promising
news so far.  :)  Anything developed I'd like to have completely open source,
whether that's GPL, or OSS, whichever applies.  I could then share such
information with Lance if he goes forward with the purchase of these units, and
of course anyone else who is interested.  Is it right to feel excited that I
"might" have my name on part of an open source development, no matter how small
it may seem??

Thanks!
David M.
helpin to keep it real and on topic... ;)