[TriLUG] using dhcp with a wireless card

stan briggs stan at StanBriggs.com
Sun Sep 26 20:19:09 EDT 2004

william,

my success (admittedly with rh9) was to boot the machine without a card
installed, copy the ifcfg-eth0-location file to ifcfg-eth0, insert the
card, and then '/etc/init.d/network start'. a crude work-around but it
worked for me.

script available to manage locations, present a menu to you, and do the
cfg'ing.

stan

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of William Villalba
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 8:10 PM
To: trilug at trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] using dhcp with a wireless card

Dear All,

I am using a wireless card--Orinoco silver--with Suse 9.1. I have it set

restricted at home with a 64 wep key. I am trying to set it at the
university without overwriting my home settings. Everything seems to
work
fine, but when I do #dhcpcd eth0, the card shuts down. For some reason I

cannot make dhcp to work. I have registered the card with the dhcp
account
at UNC, so it provides an ip--I can see that it assigns one in Windows.

Does any one knows how to configure two different setting in two
different
places using dhcp?
Thanks in advance...

william