[TriLUG] Debian CD-R problems

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Mon Sep 27 10:51:31 EDT 2004

I just rebooted with my saved 2.4.26-1-386 kernel and it didn't change this
behavior.  So I doubt it's the kernel.

Not to fan the flame wars, but I
agree with Ryan Leathers about SuSE.  For a casual workstation user like myself,
SuSE is a much better distro.  I thought I was "ready" for Debian, and I've
spent the last four days fixing annoying problems.  In addition to the CD
problem, I also have remaining a baffling Samba problem.  I think I'm going
back to SuSE.

YaST is one of SuSE's best *and* worst attributes, depending
what you want out of your system!  Debian has provided some new learning experiences
that SuSE sheltered me from having!

Bob

--- Triangle Linux Users
Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org wrote:
2.6.8 is your problem...
cdrecord is b0rked in that one  go back to 2.6.7

2004 10:13, rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com wrote:
> > Hi all,

I'm a relative Linux newbie, so bear that in mind...

> > I upgraded

> > to Debian w/KDE unstable kernel 2.6.8-1-386.  (OK, I know I have no
> > business doing this but everything is OK except my CD-R woes.)  I have

> > limited understanding, and I haven't been able to find resolution via

> > Google.
> >
> > Each boot Discover
> > "cleans up" (removes) the /media/cdrom0
directory, then never recreates it.
> >  Fine, I commented that line out
of discover:

> > /etc/init.d/discover
> >

> >    # Remove all
old optical drive mount points:
> >     for CDMOUNT in ${CDROM_BASE_MOUNTPOINT}cdrom?

> >     do
> >         mountsent="$(grep "$CDMOUNT " /proc/mounts |
cut -f2)"

> >        if [ -z "$mountsent" ]; then
> >          # rm
-rf $CDMOUNT
> >         fi
> >
> >     done
> >
> > My remaining problems
are these:

> > 1.  Once mounted, I cannot
> > unmount, even as root.

> > 	linux:~# umount /media/cdrom0
> > 	umount: /media/cdrom0:
> > device
is busy
> > 	umount: /media/cdrom0: device is busy
> >
> > 2.  I cannot
eject.

> > 	umount: /media/cdrom0: device is busy
> > 	umount: /media/cdrom0:
device is
> > busy
> > 	eject: unmount of `/dev/hda' failed
> >
> > This
happens from shell or
> > Konqueror.  OK, so I close Konqueror (assuming
it is causing the "busy"
> > signal) and:
> >
> > as my user:

rs1700 at linux:~$ umount /media/cdrom0
> > rs1700 at linux:~$
> > eject

eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

> > disk does not

> > eject.
> >
> > and as root:
> >
> > linux:~# umount /media/cdrom0

> > linux:~# eject
> > eject:
> > unable to eject, last error: Invalid
argument

> > but disk does eject!
> >
> > Seems
> > like a lot to
go through just to eject the CD: close Konqueror, shell out,
> > su, umount,
eject, receive an error...

0
> > 0   13 Sep 27 08:16 cdrom -> /media/cdrom0
> >
> > fstab:
> >

> # /etc/fstab: static
> > file system information.
> > #
> > # <file system>
> >       <dump>  <pass>
> > proc
       /proc           proc    defaults
> >     0       0
> > /dev/hdc1
      /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
> > 0       1
>
> /dev/hdc5       /home           ext3    defaults        0
> >  2
> > /dev/hdc6
      none            swap    sw              0       0
> > /dev/hda

       /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> > /dev/fd0
>
> /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> >

> > I can burn
a CD if
> > no CD was previously mounted that session (even though fstab
reports the
> > device as "ro").  After the burn K3B ejects the disk.
>

> > I fully accept that I may
> > be the problem in this scenario, if
someone will tell me the error in my