[TriLUG] icmp as non-root

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 27 16:45:34 EDT 2004

I'm trying to run pingplotter in wine under Mandrake 10, but I get this error:

"WARNING: Trying to use ICMP (network ping) will fail unless running as root"

I found some stuff in /etc/sysctl.conf that talks about disabling icmp, but
it's all turned off.  I also found some info about /etc/security/msec, but I
don't really understand it.  Anyway, how can I alow a user to use icmp?

Also, if you can suggest a linux alternative to pingplotter, that would be
cool too!

Thanks,

Michael