[TriLUG] Solved: Squirrelmail - message count doesn't auto refresh on folders - firefox

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Sep 27 22:50:33 EDT 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 22:32, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> Trilugers,
>
> I was wondering if anyone else was noticing this in Squirrelmail.  I
> have message counts turned on with folder refresh.  It seems that
> under Firefox 0.8 and 1.0PR that the message totals do not get
> updated even though the time of the folder refresh indicates a
> refresh has happened.  This has been since I updated from 1.4.2 to
> 1.4.3a .  Now if I click on the inbox, my message list gets updated
> showing new messages, but the
> message count still does not get updated until I click folder refresh
> after having clicked the inbox.  It seems to work fine in IE, so
> maybe this is a firefox issue?
>

> FreeBSD 5.3Beta3
> Squirrelmail 1.4.3a - compiled from ports
> PHP4.3.8 with openssl statically compiled - also from ports
> UW-IMAP2004d. - from ports
> Firefox 1.0PR on W2K
> IE 5.5SP4 on W2K
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Pusateri
>

> I found the following on the Squirrelmail-dev list which solved my
> problem.
>

> Try checking the setup of your IMAP server. I'm using UW-IMAP, and I
> noticed the
> following behaviour, which isn't a bug but a feature.
>
> Incoming mail is delivered to "/var/spool/mail/[username]", which is
> the inbox in SquirrelMail. If [username] has a file called "~/mbox",
> this file
> is the inbox. When a update of the folder list is made, the "newmail"
> plugin detects
> incoming messages and changes the titlebar accordingly, but
> the number of mail in the INBOX folder doesn't change. When I press
> the INBOX link, the IMAP server moves incoming mails from
> "/var/spool/mail/[username]" to "~/mbox" and then displays the
> content.
> Next update of the folder list shows all mails as expected.
>
> There are ways to avoid this problem, but I haven't bother to find
> out how. I know
> that, at least for some IMAP servers, you can configure the
> MTA to run a small program each time a mail arrives, moving the
> incoming
> mail from "/var/spool/mail/[username]" to an inbox located elsewhere.
>

> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=squirrelmail-devel&m=108098673024816&
>w=4

you might also get around this by delivering mail directly to the
"correct" location, rather than /var/log/mail.  slap something like
this in the beginning of /etc/procmailrc:

  DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

i use courier and maildirs, if you're running uw-imap it will be
slightly different.  this way -all- user mail is in their homedir
rather than the inbox in /var/log/mail and everything else in ~, a
setup i despise.

jason