[TriLUG] how does one permit root telnet

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Sep 28 15:53:16 EDT 2004

Thanks for the link Mark.

for the curious... I was given a requirement for a training lab.  a host in
the lab must run an application which communicates with a hardware probe.
the application gets configured by plugging the probe in via an Ethernet
cable and pressing a series of buttons.  the root password must be set in
advance to the hard coded password used by the probe.  once installed, the
probe never initiates communication again and never uses root again.
bass-ackwards you say?  welcome to my nightmare.

I wasn't concerned about sniffing etc etc... and my only choice was to allow
root telnet.