[TriLUG] Debian

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 30 13:51:34 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 12:21:52PM -0400, Jason S. Evans wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been using Debian for about 6 months now, and I am thrilled

Great!

> about the speed and package selection that Debian offers, however I am
> a little irrititated by the lack of confiiguration resources in
> Debian.
>
> I use webmin to configure servers and users, and xf86cfg to configure
> to my graphics card.  However, there is very little support for
> configuring other miscellaneous things like sound cards, tv tuner
> cards, joysticks, menus, etc.
>
> Has anyone ported over any of the configuration utilities from
> Mandrake or SuSE into Debian, or is there any Debian based distros
> that have better configuration.  I've played with Knoppix some and I
> found it wanting in some areas.

Found this the other day but have not tried it. It is Debian based.
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Maybe it has some config aids.

Have you tried the debian-user list?  Pretty noisy list but you should
get a) lots of choice, or b) the best tool for the job.

I use Debian for xterms (cli and vi), mutt, browser.  No sound or games
or digital cam or scanner or printer.

Recently tackled cdrecord (cli).

There is a menu tool that is Debian specific
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Debian/2003-08/4019.html

Happy hunting.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.