[TriLUG] FC1 not detecting USB camera

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Sep 30 14:22:18 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 14:10, linux r wrote:
> Hi,  I have a Canon Powershot S400 digital camera that I cannot seem
> to get to work with FC1.  I will plug it in and when I go into the
> digital camera tool, it does indeed have an entry for that model, but
> I go through the setup and it does nothing.
>
> I have had other USB problems with this version of the OS.  Has USB
> been a big issue with Fedora?  Is there an enhanced rpm or something
> that might patch the USB overall?  My printer is USB and it works
> fine; I have not tried them together.

Can you access the camera via a SCSI device, e.g. /dev/sda1 ?  When you
plug in the camera, watch /var/log/messages, or just type "dmesg" after
plugging it in. You should see a message about which scsi device has
been assigned; you can then try mounting that device as a filesystem.
(Some distributions have "hotplug" systems that do this automatically; I
don't know how smart the FC1 hotplug routine is with regards to usb scsi
devices like this.)

HTH,
Jeremy