[OT] Re: [TriLUG] Fwd: Safeco moves IT offshore

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Thu Sep 30 19:05:37 EDT 2004

<snip>

> I'm sick of hearing about outsourcing as this huge bane of the geek's
> existence.  It's rarely considered in any fashion other than "Them Thar
> Fur-ners Took Our Jorbs!!1!" that people take personally.  It's rarely
> noted that knowledge always gets out and dilutes the monopoly of the
> innovator.

I was raised in Massachusetts, near the site of the original textile
mills in this country, the same place was the home of much of the
earliest labor union activity and strikes.  I've been talking to some of
the folks here who think that "Free Market" will save the day on one
hand, but get upset at outsourcing.  What I'm trying to get them to see
is the business hasn't ever given a crap about the worker.   Back in the
days before there were textile mills in NC, the companies saw the
workers revolting and looked South.  What did they see, not "A great
place to work and raise a family" as some would have you believe, but
rather, "somewhere that has a bunch or ignorant people who will work for
less".

History repeats itself, now they are moving the jobs to India, Vietnam,
China, etc.  Do you think that it's because they want to go there?  It's
purely because they are the next round of suckers.

Just my $.02, flame on if you want to.....

Kevin

P.S. I do like it here, and chose here to live, it is a great place to
live.