[TriLUG] Name-Based Virtual Hosting vs. GoDaddy, round 1

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Oct 1 09:45:15 EDT 2004

Hi Folks,
  I'm trying to do some name-based virtual hosting for a non-profit org.
They are using GoDaddy to provide their DNS resolution.  GoDaddy appears to
use a redirector rather than actual pure DNS (I'm vague on what the proper
technical terms are in this situation.  What I mean is, the DNS for the
NPO's domain name still points to a GoDaddy server, which then redirects the
UA to my host, presumably by a http header with the target IP address).
  The problem is, by the time the request makes it to my server, it's just
"GET /" instead of "GET http://fully-qualified-url.org/" .  I've discovered
this by tail -f 'ing access_log and watching what happens when I try to surf
to the site.  I think this is because once GoDaddy redirects the UA, the UA
is using the IP itself instead of the domain name in its request, which
confuses (or rather, fools) my name-based host into serving up the default
/, which is a completely unrelated commercial site.
  Is there a way for me to fix this on my end without my NPO client having
to move away from GoDaddy?  I am imagining that would be too much of a
headache on his part (and probably end up being costly).

If I haven't described my situation well enough, I apologize..  This is
somewhat new ground for me.

TIA,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning