[TriLUG] Name-Based Virtual Hosting vs. GoDaddy, round 1

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Oct 1 11:57:20 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>I wouldn't mind doing some DNS too..  I've just never had any luck with
>configuring it correctly (I'm completely ignorant in that area).  Would you
>mind directing me to some references that don't depend on me already having
>heavy technical knowledge of DNS?  Such as, I don't know the significance of
>Zones or pretty much any other DNS-specific jargon term.  I'd love to learn,
>but I hate to chase rabbits if someone can point me to a good source to
>start with. :-)
>
>Unfortunately having a separate real IP is probably right out for cost
>reasons.

The DNS HOWTO is a fabulous resource for both the newbie to DNS, and
those who think they really know DNS.  It's a good read, even if you're
not going to setup DNS, so that you understand what's really going on
when DNS resolution doesn't work - or when you get strange-sounding
error messages back from your mail server, or dozens of other
scenarios.  There has been some discussion of a DNS-talk at one of the
upcoming meetings, that would cover all of what everyone really ought to
know about DNS, as well as how to effectively setup and run your own DNS
server.

In the mean time, check out the DNS HOWTO, available here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Aaron S. Joyner