[OT] Re: [TriLUG] Fwd: Safeco moves IT offshore

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 4 08:55:59 EDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 07:17:28PM -0400, Carolinux.com wrote:
> Well, I started this thread, so I guess I can end it. As you know,
> when the mention of Hitler is made, a thread must, by netiquette, die.

Er, no, check the rules. Intentionally mentioning Hitler does
not work.

<quote>
However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional
triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects
will be unsuccessful.
</quote> (ref. http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/G/Godwins-Law.html)

general ref.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

> Don't think outsourcing affects you? Too young to give a sh!t?
>
> Bush has made a deal with India. Indian agricultural tarriffs on US
> goods will be lifted, IF all white collar Indian nationals may enter
> the US as guest workers.
>
> Doctor? by-by
>
> Lawyer? by-by
>
> Geek? by-by
>
> Walmart greeter? You're okay.........

Probably a bunch of pissed off Indian farmers - the ones least
able to bear the competitive force of corporate farming from the
US and the least empowered group to oppose the agreement.

When trade barriers fall some people get hurt and some get helped.
I'm not opposed to trade barriers being removed.  I'm opposed to letting
economists and politicians being the ones that implement the plan. They
never seem to know what to do about the displaced folks.

> See http://zazona.com
>
> Hey, youngsters: between the ages of 18 & 36?  The draft will be in
> full force, male & female, by March, 2005..........

This is a political hot-potato - maybe even a red herring.  Charles
Rangel of NY (D) introduced a bill to restart the draft as a way to
shine a light on the process of executing a war.  The desire is to
draw in more people so that they are stakeholders in the discussion
about war.  Arm chair warriors talk tough but would not be caught in
the "boots on the ground".

This is not really an appropriate forum for this topic.

<snip political posturing>

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.