[TriLUG] FC2/3 on Dell PE 650/750 instead of RHEL 3.x

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 12:39:37 EDT 2004

Again, no manual updates, thanks.  I do appreciate the idea of a build
repository so that I could upkeep myself, which maybe would make sense if I was
rolling out 10-20 of these guys.  However, I'm a small shop and this machine
will be going solo on real server class hardware.  At the same time, I am
introducing my Intranet on Linux, so there will be 2 machines running Linux in
production for me before the end of October maybe, November for sure.  Still
not enough for me to have any desire to take over builds of my own if a WBEL or
CentOS were to vanish.  It is far less likely that RedHat and FC lines would
vanish.  You are correct though, there is still no absolute in that.  At any
rate, that makes 2 out of 9 servers in my server room Linux, not bad % eh?
This may be closed minded, but I hated my YaST experience so much, SuSE is far
far away from my thoughts.  :)

Since I'm only running web services for now, I don't mind starting off on FC2/3
and maybe having to upgrade the machine again in 6 months to a year.  Although
we want our site up 24/7, right now, if we were down for a Saturday or Sunday
upgrade, no care in the world.  The future may hold a different scenario for a
full blown customer facing web app.  *That* may be the defining point in a
moment of time in which trust in Linux has been established and the cost of a
RHEL 3/4 may become a viable asset to this organization.  I just wanted to
query to see if there would be any troubles running FCx as opposed to RHEL on
this hardware, from what I can tell, should be perfectly fine for now.

thanks everyone,
David M.