[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 10:28:41 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 09:21:45AM -0400, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
> Having spent several years as a cabling grunt

That's quite a cabling/connecting yarn :-) very impressive.

<snip>
> Having said all that, this is why I believe it's almost always worth the
> few bucks to buy pre-made and pre-tested patch cables.

I am a rank amateur and credit what little success I've had to using
the Tyco connectors. I was skeptical at first when I was told how
much better they were, but I'm beginning to think they might
actually be a superior product.

If you need a few patch cables then buying is good.  If you need
tons of them buying good.  I fall into the middle where building
them with good tools and good parts maximizes reliability,
flexibility, and cost containment.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.