[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Tue Oct 5 12:50:08 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

> As I understand it, 10-base-T needs 4 conductors (two signal, two ground)
> and 100-base-T requires all 8 (four signal, four ground).

only 4 are used. I don't know why everyone has the 8 conductors.
You would think that everyone would have dropped the extra 4 by now.
People doing power over ethernet (poe) - eg for WAPs at the end
of a long run of ethernet, where there's no 120V, send it over
one of the unused pair.

Joe

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov