[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 13:37:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:24:28PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> I have an additional question. I have a 150' cat5 cable hand made by my
> vendor. It doesn't work. A friend told me that with long runs there's a
> special wiring method than with short runs, in order to limit capacitance or
> inductance or some such.
>
> Anyone know about that?
>
> One thing I can tell you is that the non-working cable has only 4 conductors
> crimped. For long cables, should all 8 be crimped?

"buzz" it out to ensure it's built correctly.

Daily I run 5-10 ports over 50' 4-wire cables.  I am sitting
outside connected over a 100' cable now (2 each 50' with a
coupler, both 8-wire).  I operate in an EMI noisy environment
(lots of cheap PCs; cellphone operation is intermittent).
In summary, I've got a less than optimal environment with
long cables and no significant problems. My guess is your
cables not built correctly.

> Thanks
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Founder and acting president: GoLUG
> http://www.golug.org

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.