[TriLUG] USB on laptop

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 17:51:24 EDT 2004

I've been building my laptop from a lean Debian Sid and
a fresh 2.4.26 kernel from kernel.org.  The point of this
exercise has been to learn many of the things the distros
do for you these days.

Today I got around to getting the USB ports working so
I can hook up external mice and keyboards.  It was a bit of a struggle
because I read selectively :-).

Here's the poop:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/c122.html#AEN124
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

USB Human Interface (Mouse/Keyboard)
1) ref. http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
2) configure kernel for HID in USB section; built in to kernel
ensure the following are set; :
# Input core support
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
# USB support
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# use cat /proc/pci | grep USB to help figure next item
# mike01 at edison:~$ cat /proc/pci | grep USB
# USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #1) (rev 3).
# USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #2) (rev 3).
# USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #3) (rev 3).
# USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB2 (rev 3).
# if Intel use UHCI
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT=y
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y

3) load new kernel
4) check that /proc/bus/usb/devices shows plugged in USB devices
5) cat /dev/input/mice
ensure that when the mouse is moved there is lots of
6) ensure the USB mouse is configured in XF86Config-4
7) keyboard on USB port should just work
8) mousepad and keyboard on laptop should work simultaneously with
the external mouse and keyboard

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.