[TriLUG] OT: Home Depot and Cat 5

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 5 23:14:28 EDT 2004

Well, maybe not.  A "hub" is a repeater - a simple device that takes in
an electrical signal, cleans it up, and sends it back out.  Depending
on what you are trying to do, and in this case it seems like the
objective is to send the signal over a greater distance, so I would
suggest using a repeater - if you can still find one.  A switch will
add layer 2 MAC address filtering but I really don't see why this would
be necessary or even desired.  Besides, if the upstream device is a
more intelligent switch, like say a Cisco 4560, the upstream switch may
see BPDU packets originating from the switch and shut the port down
(depending if it is configured to do so).  A repeater, however, will
simply "scrub" the existing signal, even if it's junk, and send it
along it's merry way.

Just my $.02.

Greg