[TriLUG] USB on laptop

Erik Jacobson erik at underhanded.org
Wed Oct 6 13:00:47 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:54:36AM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 03:18:06AM +0000, Erik Jacobson wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 05:51:24PM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> > > I've been building my laptop from a lean Debian Sid and
> > > a fresh 2.4.26 kernel from kernel.org.  The point of this
> > > exercise has been to learn many of the things the distros
> > > do for you these days.
> >
> > You may be interested in the kernel-patch-debian-2.4.26 debian package
> > then ;)  Oh yeah, reading this reminded me of a good thread from a while
> > ago (a bit political perhaps, but interesting at the time):
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200309/msg01133.html
>
> It looks exhausting.  I was never inclined to get a Debianized
> kernel and that thread reinforces my inclinations.  I am motivated
> to know what's running and reject things I don't need or want.

Same here, I just build off the Debian sources (kernel-source-2.*
packages).  I'm comfortable enough with them making sure any important
patches are applied as far as security and stability, and then disabling
features that may have been added with menuconfig.  Makes my life
easier.

And make-kpkg is just fun.  FUN I SAY!  *cough* ...What?