[TriLUG] USB on laptop

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 15:06:44 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:00:47PM +0000, Erik Jacobson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:54:36AM -0400, Mike M wrote:
> > >
> > > You may be interested in the kernel-patch-debian-2.4.26 debian package
> > > then ;)  Oh yeah, reading this reminded me of a good thread from a while
> > > ago (a bit political perhaps, but interesting at the time):
> > > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200309/msg01133.html
> >
> > It looks exhausting.  I was never inclined to get a Debianized
> > kernel and that thread reinforces my inclinations.  I am motivated
> > to know what's running and reject things I don't need or want.
>
> Same here, I just build off the Debian sources (kernel-source-2.*
> packages).  I'm comfortable enough with them making sure any important
> patches are applied as far as security and stability, and then disabling
> features that may have been added with menuconfig.

Interesting.  You're n steps beyond where I am w/r to knowing what
what is running.

You build all of your own packages?

How are kernel features getting enabled in your process and how do
you detect the change (diff against a preserved .config?)?

> Makes my life easier.

easier or controlled; maybe controlled == easier ;-)

> And make-kpkg is just fun.  FUN I SAY!  *cough* ...What?

More layers.  I concluded it was a useful thing if you are working on
a distro that needed to boot on many diverse machines.  I recall it
enforced use of initrd which I eliminate as being even more icing I
don't want until I decide I need it.

If you go to the debian-user list with kernel compiling questions you'll
quickly get steered to make-kpkg as the Right Way (tm).

Sometimes the Debians need their "hearts blessed" ;-).

--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.