[TriLUG] SUSE or RHEL - Compile your own kernel?

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Wed Oct 6 16:19:24 EDT 2004

There's some movement towards either RHEL or SUSE enterprise for servers
at work.  I have a couple of quick questions that someone here may be able
to answer from experience and save me dealing with a sales weasel.

I'd like to be able to do the two following customizations at
installation, what I don't want to do is break the support contract. ;')

Custom installation:  I want to kickstart the installations so that I can
script it, without installing all of the components.

Tailored Kernel:  I'd like to do a "Make Xconfig" to not install things
like RLL drivers, etc.

Can I do this without any support troubles?

Thanks,

  Kevin

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.

Groucho Marx