[TriLUG] OT: geek stuff (was: Home Depot and Cat 5)

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Wed Oct 6 23:13:38 EDT 2004

Mike M wrote:

>  Hey, that's pretty easy. So it's not arbitrary :-)? You should've
>  been teaching that optics class.

A very wise professor once told us that you don't really know something
until you teach it.  Having been on both sides of the fence, I
definitely agree.

>  It would be fun to go back and try it again without the pressure to
>  graduate and get a job. Maybe that's the true test of geekdom - you
>  would study physics...for FUN!

Possibly, but mainly for philosophical reasons.  Applying what you learn
to real problems or challenges really makes you learn the material.  It
was actually pressure to get a job that made me switch to get a degree
in EE; something for which I can get a job!   :-)

  -Rob