[TriLUG] Migrating evolution

Thomas G. Mayfield hulett819 at mailcan.com
Thu Oct 7 13:39:58 EDT 2004

john broome wrote:

> Matt Frye wrote:
>
>>> In the past I've just moved the ~/evolution folder and never had a
>>> problem getting all of the emails, account settings, contacts, etc.
>>> What problems have you had with this method?
>>

>> When I opened Evo on the new box for the first time, the whole thing
>> went haywire and crashed.
>

> That sounds about right for Evo. ;)

The way that I did it was to start up Evo on the new box without a
~/evolution folder present.  After letting it build all its defaults, I
then copied over what was there with the backup, and I've done that
twice now sin problems.  If you have a version difference or something,
then that may be the cause (the recent migration to 2.0 has a lot of
content on Novell's user boards), or maybe just the gremlins have opted
to rule "no" on your evil pr0n email collection.  If you have changed
versions, the release notes and changelog might prove helpful.

In any case, you try to copy the parts that you want.  Guessing, here,
but I'd probably go for:
~/evolution/addressbook-sources.xml
~/evolution/local/Calendar/
~/evolution/local/Contacts/

And the iffy (entirely unsure if they'll work) ones if you need to
retrieve all of your POP3 mail:
~/evolution/pop/*
~/evolution/pop3/

I've been searching the user guides and forums, and can't seem to find
anything else there, but found a few resources on the web to give a shot:
http://www.sm6rpz.se/evolution.html

Something also said that you can point the "Import" tool at wherever you
put your backup of ~/evolution/local/.

I hope you're able to get it working.

--Thomas