[TriLUG] On Topic - trusted computing vs Linux usability (was OT : Don't let Cheney hide)

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 14:53:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:30:35PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:09:28 -0400, Mike M
> <no-linux-support at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Did you say bullshit?  :-)
>
> Yes, but in a much more classy way.

That's what I thought.  It's one of your better arguments.

> > Given that TriLUG is incorporated as a 501(c)3 educational non-profit
> > that may not have purposes or activities that are illegal or violate
> > fundamental public policy, I would think that running a public
> > discussion forum and suppressing OT posts might be unwise.
> >
> > http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=123299,00.html
> >
> > The public does have a right to expect certain things from 501(c)(3)
> > organizations because they are tax-exempt.
>
> Nothing on that website says we as a private organization, even a
> 501c3 one, have to let you say whatever you want with our
> resources.  The 1st ammendment, which you cited before,
> doesn't cover us at all.  It ONLY refers to government, which
> we are not.

TriLUG had federal government priviledges which binds the organization
to the first amendment _if_ it is providing a public forum.

> > Hacking and posting are not the same thing.  Hacking is illegal.
> > Posting on an open list is protected by the First Amendment.
>
> No, it is not.  You're welcome to say whatever you want, but that
> doesn't mean we HAVE to let you use our resources to do so.
> If you want to setup your own list to say stuff, go right ahead.
> The first ammendment does NOT cover any private entities.

It's a private entity claiming federal tax-exemption and allegedly
providing a public forum.

> > I agree this is not an appropriate forum for
> > general political discussion.  The point is that you cannot stop
> > someone from making OT statements in an open forum.  You can
> > ignore them and you can disuade them but you cannot stop them.
> >
> > Anyone that has read extensively on Linux and FOSS understands
> > that there are political issues surrounding these topics.  Related
> > political issues naturally lead to general political issues.
>
> No, they don't.  If you want to talk about linux/FOSS and politics
> related to that, fine, go ahead.  But, general political talk is not
> appropriate for this list and will not be tolerated anymore.

Hmmm.

> > 2004-11-02 will come and go and we'll be done with politics for the
> > time being.
>
> Oh, so we should let the list go to hell in a handbasket for just the
> next three weeks and then things will get better?  I don't think so.
> Something else would always come along.

I smell censorship and intolerance.  I need some fresh air.
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.