[TriLUG] Basement SAN

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 16:00:56 EDT 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:24:48 -0400 (EDT), sholton at mindspring.com
<sholton at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Apologies to those who receive this twice... ;-)
>
> Mike M <no-linux-support at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Who's got a problem that needs solving?  Post it! Quick!
>
> Well, now that you ask....
>
> I'm looking to setup a "basement" SAN. As such, I'd like something which:
>  - Is 100% free software, or Linux-leaning, or at least compatible.
>  - Can be built in pieces so that I don't have to slip too much past
> the Wife's budget at one time.
>  - Won't tie me down to a single vendor.
>
> I'm open to suggestions for hardware, sourceforge project pages, experiences,
> recommendations, etc.
>
> Who can help?
>
> --
> Steve Holton
> sholton at mindspring.com

Now THIS should be an interesting thread.  I would have no idea how to
do it in a free or cheapie way.  There is a SAN in a certain Federal
building that I have been to, and it looks like _expensive_ stuff.
Here's one for a mere 20K, which I am sure is a bargain relatively
speaking...

http://www.nwc.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47900369

Are you studying for an exam?  What would the purpose be of the SAN?
Red Hat has just created their RHCA cert, and their verbiage is such
that it says that these are newer classes, high level, and requiring a
SAN, which it says is something that you cannot afford to put together
on the fly basically (hopefully not true).

Meanwhile       http://sourceforge.net/projects/unh-iscsi/

"The UNH-iSCSI project consists of software implementations of an
Initiator and Target emulator loadable modules for the IETF Networking
(SAN) protocol (Draft 20). Requires 2.4.18 (or greater) or 2.6.1 (or
greater) Linux Kernels."

Hopefully there is (this or some other) SAN type software that would
do some of the features but without the ball and chain of being tied
to a major hardware vendor like Cisco...

HTH