[TriLUG] silly kill question

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Fri Oct 8 07:25:27 EDT 2004

Also, note that 'ps' only shows processes running for the current user.  Use
'ps -e' to show ALL processes.  You'll likely have to pipe it through less
if it's a very heavily loaded system.

There are also two separate signals often used to end processes, SIGKILL
(-9) and SIGTERM (-15).  Try both, like this:

kill -9 _pid_
kill -15 _pid_
or
killall -9 _process_name_
killall -15 _process_name_

I've often seen the default signal (I forget which it is...  I never depend
on it anymore) fail to terminate a misbehaving process.

Hope this is helpful.

~Brian