[TriLUG] "basement" SAN

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Fri Oct 8 08:50:25 EDT 2004

I think the conventional wisdom these days Dan is that we have either file
level access or block level access being NAS and SAN respectively.  So for
example, while a Fiber Channel SAN clearly uses its own network you might
also have an iSCSI SAN which shares the same IP/GigE network used for all
sorts of other traffic.  SAN is less about the "dedicatedness" of the
network or protocol and more about the type of I/O - file or block.

A practical example might help...
A NAS might be selected for use by a mail server which needs tons of storage
but need not be fast.
A SAN might be selected for use by a database system where read/write speeed
is everything.