[TriLUG] Samba problem - solved.

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 8 13:10:49 EDT 2004

My problem with Linux users not being able to create files except at the
root stems from a new default in Samba 3.x:
unix extensions = yes
is the default setting.  This causes the server to pass UID/GID information
straight through to the smbmount client.  And if the smbmount client sees
this information, it will silently IGNORE the uid=/gid= options in the
mount command.  (in direct contravention of the smbmount manual page).

I'm not sure why this would be a feature.  On a winbindd-based samba server
the uid/gid information is in no way related to the local uid/gid info and
results in the permission problems I was seeing.

Posted in the hope this saves someone else a day of frustration.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net