[TriLUG] mail server/spam question

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Fri Oct 8 16:40:54 EDT 2004

Matt Pusateri wrote:

>Trilugers,
>
>I have heard about/seen several spam messages where the spam server
>sending the message is from stderr.somedomain.com.  Has anyone run
>across this?  As you would expect it comes from multiple domains. I
>can't see anything significant about using stderr as a hostname, but
>just thought I would run it by the list as maybe there is something
>that I am missing.  If not it would potentially seem feasible to
>filter on a host name of stderr to help shut off this type of spam.
>Any comments, suggestions, or offers of free beer?  Oh sorry got off
>track late on a Friday afternoon.
>

>Matt

Matt:

Are you getting this information about the sending host from the email
headers or from are you trying to deduce it from the return address?

To help us determine which, in Squirrel Mail, which you seem to be
using, click "View Full Headers" while viewing the email message, then
copy and paste the resulting information.

Jeff G.