[TriLUG] it's late.. ssl question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 10 22:43:51 EDT 2004

I must be looking over something very obvious.  I reinstalled my server
OS, CentOS in this case, and installed http via yum.  I also installed
openssl and created a key using the following command:

openssl req -new -x509 -extensions v3_ca -keyout \
private/cakey.pem -out cacert.pem -days 365 -config ./openssl.cnf

I then installed mod_ssl from yum which perviously, after the first two
steps, would allow me to use https encryption.  For some reason I now
get an error when I try to access my web server via https.  The error
is:

"You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server
administrator or email correspondent and give them the following
information:

Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate
issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate
containing
a unique serial number."

I'm fairly tired so I think I'm missing something really basic.  All
I'm doing is using a self-signed key.  The browser (safari, firefox)
should use this certificate but warn the user that it's self-signed.

Where am I going wrong?

Greg