[TriLUG] Granting user console access via NIS - fedora 2

Craig Cook craig at cookitservices.com
Tue Oct 12 15:25:08 EDT 2004

I have a 7yr background in Solaris, only 1yr or so with Linux.  New site as well (been here 3 weeks) so don't know the full setup yet.

Anyway, I have NIS sort of working on fedora 2 (built using a kickstart server I setup).  I can login remotely (telnet or ssh) being authenticated via corporate NIS. User home dirs do not auto mount, haven't work out why not yet.  (I don't have admin access to the NIS servers).

The real question is how can I allow a standard user to login to the console with their own username, authenticated via NIS.

Currently, it only looks at /etc/passwd if using the console, but I don't understand why.

/etc/nsswitch.conf is set for "files nis" for passwd, shadow, and group.

Searched google and looks like it may be something to do with PAM and/or /etc/security/access.conf, but not sure if I am on the right track.

This is a lab PC, not a server.  Users do not have root access though.

Anyone have ideas?

btw, I know NIS is not secure, not my call.

Thanks

Craig