[TriLUG] KDE, switching networks, delays starting apps

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Oct 12 18:55:25 EDT 2004

Jon> You could also run ethereal and see if KDE is actually
Jon> using localhost or trying to use the IP address of your
Jon> former interface.

This is really weird.

My laptop sent out a DNS query to my primary DNS server at WORK!
After 5 seconds, it sent another query to the secondary DNS server
at WORK!

It looks like this.

 0.0 laptop -> workdns1   query laptop.workdomain.com
 5.0 laptop -> workdns2   query laptop.workdomain.com
 5.1 workdns2 -> laptop   no such name "laptop.workdomain.com"
 5.1 laptop -> workdns1   query laptop
10.1 laptop -> workdns2   query laptop
10.2 workdns2 -> laptop   no such name "laptop"
10.3 laptop -> workdns1   query laptop
15.3 laptop -> workdns2   query laptop
15.4 workdns2 -> laptop   no such name "laptop"

Just to throw a little confusion in, "workdns2" is our DSL modem.
At home, I have a similar DSL modem with the same IP = 192.168.1.254.
So by pure chance, the DNS queries I send to "workdns2" happen to
be answered by my DSL modem at home.  But this does not change the
overall problem.

If I "ping laptop", I see a normal DNS exchange happen.

 0.0 laptop -> homedns1   query laptop
 0.1 homedns1 -> laptop   laptop = 192.168.1.100

Just to be sure, I checked my /etc/resolv.conf file.  It looks like
this:

   search homedomain.com
   nameserver 192.168.1.1

But when I start an X-windows application, it does not use my updated
DNS information... instead, it insists on using old DNS information
from work to look up my local hostname.

I tried adding "192.168.1.100  laptop.homedomain.com" to my hosts
file, but that did not help either.

Alan