[TriLUG] USB UPS monitoring

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Oct 13 15:34:52 EDT 2004

H'lo,
  We've got an Energizer (actually Technuity) ER-PRO1000 UPS protecting a
server running FC2.  Technuity/Energizer doesn't seem to be eager to provide
any monitoring software for the Linux platform.  Add to that the fact that
I've never monitored any sort of UPS in linux before, anyhow.  So:
- What program actually takes care of monitoring a UPS and shutting the
computer down in the event of a power failure [lasting longer than x
minutes]?
- Do I need particular software that knows how to talk to a ER-PRO1000
specifically, or is it something that is more generic?
- If I do need software specific to that particular UPS, does anyone know
where I can find it?
- The USB kernel module detected the plugging-in of the USB cable to the
UPS, but I am presuming it doesn't know what to do with it until I make some
configuration changes / install software / etc.  Any tips for a first-timer?

Also, as some of you may know, the ER-PRO1000 is actually under recall, so
ours will soon be replaced with a ER-PRO1400..  Might I ought to wait until
the new equipment is in place before I start futzing with it?

Thanks as always,
~Brian

P.S.  Pizza will be at the meeting tomorrow, right? (-:

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com
866.597.2397