[TriLUG] Hyperthreading and Xeons

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Wed Oct 13 18:54:46 EDT 2004

I have an application that is licensed by the processor, and it sees the
HT processor as if it were real, costly....

That said, we did some quick tests, turn HT off, turn it back on, and
for this app it was nearly linear performance gains, YMMV, depending on
applications.  This was on Windows 2003 server, which claims to
support/exploit HT fully.

The reading that I did boiled down to, test it yourself, but expect
about 70% + scalability, if you aren't paying for licenses for software
based on "CPUs" then it seems to me that most of the time you'll do well
to leave it enabled.  Isn't it frequently better to run 2x as many
jobs/threads even if they take a little bit longer to process?  Depends
on the app, your config, etc.

Kevin