[TriLUG] Money in mysql

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:28:36 EDT 2004

> Cool.  If you're mainly going to be dealing with just summing
> columns of numbers, you won't have to worry much about the
> floating point stuff.

Yes, that is the bulk of it.  Averaging and rounding in this case will
be par for the course.

> I should have said, "you won't necessarily get back your original
> number."

I understood you.  I recall reading some nasty things about floating
point math with [ahem] certain processors about five years ago, and
then doing a bunch of experiments with the (then) new Netfinity boxes.
 Like physics, the deeper you go, the more rules get broken.

MPF