[TriLUG] shooting one's self in the foot with MySQL

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Thu Oct 14 10:19:07 EDT 2004

OK, so I've had mysql running for quite a while on one of my boxes.  I'm
using it for Snort with ACID and just recently been playing with FreeRadius
and mysql.

I got phpMyAdmin working and it kept complaining about mysql not having
passwords and how I needed to close this gaping security hole. So I
proceeded to close said hole.... See where I'm going?  I can't get mysql to
let me access it now.

[root at idsdb bin]# mysql --user=root mysql
ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'mysql'

Its not even asking for the password, which I do know.  Before I blow away
the grant tables and recreate them I'm trying to understand what I did
wrong and how to fix it.  for instance, why does the error show the user as
'@localhost'?

--
Dan Monjar