[TriLUG] hacking vs. using

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 15 20:23:49 EDT 2004

Today I started to think about hacking 802.11 signals (this all came up
during a discussion of a 802.11 design in a joking manner).  Anyway, I
was told "do not hack this network" buy the project manager to which I
responded "it's a public use frequency, I can do what I want".
Obviously I was joking, because I am aware of laws against hacking
802.11 specifically, but then I got to thinking about the nature of
public frequencies.  Does anyone, especially any of the HAM crew, know
about laws that state what you can, and cannot, do on these
frequencies?

I believe that HAM users have priority over 802.11 users in the 2.4 Ghz
range.  Therefore, I think, that a HAM radio operator could use the
signal in manner which could effectively cause a denial of service
attack for the 802.11 users (which there are laws against).  Can anyone
site a webpage with the laws about what, and cannot, be done on these
frequencies?

At the very least it seems like the laws conflict each other.

Greg