[TriLUG] hacking vs. using

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 21:38:37 EDT 2004

When most users use 802.11 frequencies, they do so under a rule called
Part 15 (iirc).  One of the things about part 15 is that it lets you
use frequencies
when other, licensed users are not using them, but it also says that you
have absolutely no rights to those frequencies.  You may have seen a
message on some electronic devices that says the device may not
cause interference and must accept any interference from licensed
transmitters.  So, yes, a licensed user could cause what is effectively
a DOS to an 802.11 transmitter and the 802.11 user would have absolutely
no recourse.

Tanner