[TriLUG] hacking vs. using

ALFRED JOHNSON alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 16 02:11:20 EDT 2004

There is a part of the FCC regulations which specifically cover what
hams are allowed to do and likewise what they cannot do while using the
frequencies which they are legally licensed to use. To make the answer
to your question very simply, unless it is inadvertent we are
prohibited from intentionally interfering with any other licensed
operators. This is not to say that from time to time ham radio
operators don't inadvertently interfere with one another. But the
simple answer to your question is that I suspect that if a ham did what
you suggested and PURPOSELY  interfered with any legal 802.11 users
that he would risk getting reported by the "ham police" whom we call
"OO's" (official observers who report violations which they hear on the
ham frequencies). If you're interested in reading about these rules and
regulations governing amateur radio all you need to do is to purchase a
small book which has all the part 97 rules and regulations from the
American Radio Relay League (they also have a website where you can
read about these regulations). Keep in mind that these regulations are
not cast in stone. From time to time the FCC will make modifications
and clarifications in any of these rules as it sees fit. So if it isn't
illegal now to do what you suggest, it could very well be changed.
--73, KQ4FP--  Al Johnson