[TriLUG] RR & HTTPS

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Mon Oct 18 10:52:51 EDT 2004

Ken Mink wrote:

>This one is a little strange. I am using RoadRunner and so is a
>coworker of mine. He just stopped by my desk and asked if I could
>connect to my web server at home via https. I could not. Both of us
>are able to connect to other ports that we have set up, including 80,
>but not 443. Is anyone else having any similar problems or know
>anything about RR blocking 443? My iptables rules are fine. We can
>connect to each others 443s from our homes, but not from outside RR's
>network. Bizarre.
>
>Ken

I'm a RR user in Raleigh, and I'm able to connect to 443 without any
problem to my machine at home.

I'm betting it's your workplace blocking outbound connects to port 443.
They don't want you reading email that they can't read too!

Choose a different port other than 443 if that turns out to be the case.

Jeff G.