[TriLUG] Whitebox vs. CentOS?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Oct 18 11:28:11 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 11:02, Matt Frye wrote:
> > Any opinions from the group on differences between the two?
>
> Whitebox is stable and smooth.  CentOS does have a more active
> community, but the slower pace of WB fits my needs as a model closer
> to RHEL and less Fedora-like.

I'm not sure what you mean by "slower pace."  CentOS, like WBEL,
rebuilds the SRPMS and updates from Red Hat Enterprise Linux, RHEL.  The
"pace" of updates is identical among all three versions (minus a small
delay for WBEL and CentOS to rebuild).  It's not a "closer model" of
RHEL -- they are both *IDENTICAL* to RHEL.

Now, the folks that make CentOS also have Caosity (sp?), which is a more
cutting-edge distribution, but this is a separate project.

> In any case, WB performs well.  I can tell you from experience that RH
> rpms run without any problems.

Yes, it should.

Jeremy