[TriLUG] Dynamic IP headaches..

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Oct 20 09:03:11 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>Hey List,
>  Am I correct in figuring that the combination of my home network having a
>dynamic public IP, combined with the related lack of reverse DNS, will make
>it impossible to use my dynip hostname in a hosts.allow (in conjunction with
>a :ALL in hosts.deny) on a server at work?

I'm not so clear on whether reverse DNS will affect tcpwrappers
processing or not.

>  So, now that I'm an official TriLUG member, Aaron, what were those member
>benefits that Intrex offers for their DSL services again?...

But this part of your question I can certainly tackle.  :)  TriLUG
members who purchase Intrex DSL (and I'll assume the BellSouth phone
district, ask again if that's a wrong assumption, we also do Verizon and
Sprint phone areas) can get a free Static IP address, with no ports
blocked, and the reverse DNS of your choice, all for the standard
residential pricing.  If you're using dynamic DNS now and would prefer
to have your own DNS domain, we'll gladly do secondary DNS for that
domain for $3 a month, and waive the $20 setup fee.  If you want us to
maintain the whole domain for you (primary and secondary dns, normally
$8 bucks per month, $20 setup) we can do it for $5 per month with no
setup charge (note: that does not include domain registration).

If you have any questions about service, setup, or availability, feel
free to give me a call at the office at your convenience.  :)

--
Aaron S. Joyner
System Administrator