[TriLUG] New 2.6.8.1-10mdk Kernel Won't Boot

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Oct 20 18:34:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 18:24, Joshua Gitlin wrote:

> On a hunch, I cd'ed to /usr/src/linux and tried to execute
> './vmlinux'... just to see what would happen.
>
> It segfaulted! Is this normal???

Err, I'd guess this is completely normal. The kernel is a very special
binary and is only intended to be run by a bootloader.  It probably
can't handle the "user-mode" environment provided by the running
kernel.  In fact, the running kernel MUST prevent your new kernel from
executing, because it will immediately try to do things that violate the
protection put in place by the running kernel.

You will need a virtual machine like VMware, or a user-mode-Linux setup,
in order to expect this kind of test to work.

Jeremy