[TriLUG] ethernet ports on Linksys wrt54g are autosense

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 09:27:06 EDT 2004

Back when I was a young guy, one of the things which defined a
computer was that it had LOTS of blinking lights on something called
the control panel. Most of the lights displayed the current value of
bits in various important registers. I knew experienced programmers
and operators who could tell what the machine was doing, or if it had
gone into a loop by seeing patterns in the lights.
An IBM 360 typically had a control panel with dimensions measured in
feet, and two dimensional arrays of lights.
Minicomputers (like Novas, PDP-5/8s and pre-VAX PDP-11s had control
panels measured in inches, usually with only a row or two of lights).
Early micro-computers like the Altair were similar in this respect to
minicomputers, but then the personal computer came along and the
lights tended to go away.