[TriLUG] God, how I hate thee, VIM

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 21 13:23:09 EDT 2004

Ah, good point.  I'm feeling *a little* better.

After trying to figure out what was going wrong I found the following
odd scenario:

vi ./file
(auto repeat is NOT on)
(save file)

chmod 755 ./file
vi ./file
(auto repeat IS on)

Strange.

If I am editing a file with the executable bits set and I enter interactive
mode and write a comment, then hit enter VIM automatically places a "#"
at the start of the next line.

In order to stop having "#"s at the start of every line I have to:

1. hit escape
2. and rather than appending to the end of that line I have to use the "j"
key to drop to a new which seems to exit auto repeat.

I guess I just have to get used to using this wonderful "feature" and
overcome 10 years of escaping out of interactive mode then hitting "a"
then "enter" to get to a "clean" newline.

I guess I freaked out a bit. :)  Heh... work is fun.

Greg