[TriLUG] VIM - back to sqaure one

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 21 13:40:45 EDT 2004

I thought I had this problem fixed but I do not.  According to
the vim man page starting an edit session with vi -C will force
vi compatability but it DOES NOT.

As for the auto-repeat here is what is happening:

if I vi a file, go to the last line in that file, then hit the 'a' key
then 'enter' I am now on a new, blank line.

If I decide to enter a comment as the first character of the line
then hit enter to go to the newline vim automatically places a "#"
as the first character for me, even though I do not want it to.

Should I try to break this evil cycle by hitting the escape key on
the line with a comment then hitting the 'a' key I still get a "#"
when I go to the nextline.  I cannot "j" down at this point because
this is the last line of the file.   So, my only option seem to be
hitting enter to get to the next new line,  hitting escape to exit
interactive mode, then "dd"ing the current line, the hitting 'i" for
interactive mode, then hitting enter.  Now I have a fresh blank
line, viens throbbing in my head, teeth ground to dust, and rage
induced blurred vision.

There simply must be a way to turn off this horrible feature.  I
can vi a file in the same, old-fashioned way on an anchient
mandake box but I don't have root access so I can't do what I
need to script nmap hence KNOPPIX.

As long as I have one extra blank line at the end of my file I
can survive.  Otherwise.. ugh.  It's just not worth it.

Drink please.

Greg