[TriLUG] Exclusions in a virtmaps file

skippy1 at hickorytech.net skippy1 at hickorytech.net
Fri Oct 22 12:09:22 EDT 2004

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:53:43 -0500 (CDT), skippy1 at hickorytech.net wrote:
>> I guess I would try putting a line for that user above the default
>> line. Something like:
>>
>> foo at strutmasters.com   foo
>> @strutmasters.com    %1 at strutmasters.net
>
> This is a valid solution, although not very scalable.

Agreed.  Especially since that splits that userbase between 2 different
servers, one of which wasn't designed to support users that way.  That
type of setup fails my "bus" test.  Ie, if I get hit by a bus today, can a
new admin come in tomorrow and understand the setup with minimal research.
 This is especially inportant if theres a chance for a new admin to think
they understand while actually missing an important part -- in this case
the one lone user on the other server.

> Before you know
> it, you could have 20 or thirty of these lines.  Maybe it goes without
> saying...someone, i.e. a winders admin, should have a talk with this
> fellow about his choice of mail clients.  Standardization of clients (as
> many TriLUGgers can likely attest), goes a long way in preventing
> serverside band-aid application, or as I like to call them
> RFD's...Requests For Ducttape.

Ooh, I like that.  Mind if I use it?  I'd like to pass the phrase onto my
replacement at my current job.  Lucky him, he's inheriting 10 years or so
of  duct tape.

Skippy