[TriLUG] Linux on a Sparc 5

skippy1 at hickorytech.net skippy1 at hickorytech.net
Fri Oct 22 12:21:35 EDT 2004

>> Might you consider OpenBSD or NetBSD?  I've been running an OpenBSD
>> firewall on a Sparc5 (75MHz) for years.  I've also had a Sparc5
>> (110MHz) desktop that worked okay.  It's not going to run Mozilla, but
>> Dillo worked fine.
>
> I think that's the direction I'm headed in.  I can't imagine actually
> using this for a desktop machine.

I've been using an UltraSparc running Mandrake as a desktop at work for 3
1/2 years now and am considering trying to buy it off the boss when I
leave.  The 64bit causes a few problems every once in a while when I
wanted to try a compile on my local machine, but on the whole its been
extremely usable.

Skippy