[TriLUG] SSL Certs

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:29:06 EDT 2004

Ok, I don't claim to be any security expert, and it will probably show
in this message, please keep the teasing to a minimum <but feel free
to tease!>

I've never done a truly official SSL site, I've always generated a
self signed cert for personal use.  Well I now need to BUY a cert for
our web-app, sounds easy right?  Gets better.

First of all, the app servers are currently windows (I know..), but
they'll be replaced in a month or two with two brand spaking new Dell
poweredge 1750, RHEL3 boxes running jboss, and being load balanced by
a Cisco Local Director.

I already figured we'd need a wildcard cert because of the load
balancing and two machines serving the same webaddress, (is this a
correct assumption?), but if I buy the certs now won't I just have to
re-purchase new ones for the Linux boxes?  I guess what I'm asking is
are the certificates OS independant, one version for win and another
for lin?

As always, any help greatly appreciated!
Steve